Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Fresh, Healthy and Yummy!


Kirsten and I are always trying to educate ourselves and do our best when it comes to eating healthy, organic and local. This is an ongoing effort in educating ourselves and trying new things. 

My mom was recently in town and on a trip to the always awesome Target, she bought me Jessica Alba's book, The Honest Life. Jessica has a chapter in the book dedicated to healthy eating and I LOVED it! She suggests making friends with your local farmer and finding the nearest farmers market. Well, I wouldn't say that Nevada is the state where your neighbor is a farmer but I knew that someone had to be growing something in this rock hard soil! I knew of a local farmers market and had even walked the isles of it a handful of times but never with a real purpose. This time I wanted to have a list of staple items that I knew I used on weekly basis as well as a list of questions to ask the vendors I would purchase from. Asking face to face questions is one of my favorite ways to learn.

I woke up early on Sunday morning and gave my local Fresh 52 Farmers Market a try. It was AWESOME! I have nothing else to compare it to but what made it awesome were the vendors. They were extremely kind and answered all of my questions without making me feel like an idiot! 
Hydroponic Micro Greens, Brussels Sprouts & Garlic

My shopping list included: 
Eggs
 Strawberries
 Kale
Spinach
Cauliflower 
Broccoli
Asparagus 
Green Beans
Garlic
 Yes! That is GARLIC pictured above looking oddly like onions. It's so fresh!
Sprouts (Hydro Greens)
These Hydro Greens were not on my list but their health benefits are outstanding and are now included in every smoothie I make. Check out the health benefits on WebMD's link.  

If you are ready and willing, I encourage you to check out your local farmers market. Grab a friend and make a coffee date out of it. Don't be afraid to start small and try just a few things at first. If you try to buy everything you usually eat all at once you will drive yourself crazy! Baby steps are just fine. 


In honor of those beautiful brussels sprouts I purchased, I plan on making the recipe pictured above. I of course forgot the damn fig jam to make the glaze so I am going to just whip up a cheese sauce instead and serve it with some gluten free penne pasta. I say, "whip up" like I know what I am doing. God bless my husband for always eating what I make and pretending to like it! 

Lindsay and Kirsten signing off "Click"



No comments:

Post a Comment